Yum! I made this last night on a whim after googling millet and black bean recipes bcs I wanted to use them both. I often google recipes with the ingredients I have on hand and end up with great recipes. I didn't think that my kids would eat this, but they actually did. I think the fact that dad was home and did a great selling job on it made the difference though! The raw onions are a bit strong for the smaller kids so you may want to lightly saute them first. I liked them raw though. I did not add the parsley or cilantro this time but I will next time. I also did not put it on lettuce like in the photo due to time constraints; we just served it right from the bowl.
Black Bean and Millet Salad
- 1 cup millet, well rinsed uncooked
- 2 1/2-3 cups water
- 2 cups canned low sodium black beans
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- chopped parsley (optional)
- chopped cilantro, to taste (optional)
- 1Cook the millet in 2 cups of water until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. adding more hot water if needed. Fluff with fork and allow to steam and cool.
- 2In a large bowl, combine millet, black beans, tomatoes, pepper, cucumber and onion.
- 3Mix all dressing ingredients until well blended and pour over the salad, tossing to blend.
- 4Cover and refrigerate until the salad is well chilled.
- 5Serve on lettuce leaves or stuff into pita bread or wrap in a tortilla.