About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Vegan Cornbread recipe (dairy, gluten, egg, refined sugar, and soy free)

Yum!

Just make sure to buy organic, fine ground cornmeal or regrind it yourself till it's powdery.

I used organic coconut palm sugar as my sweetener.

Recipe:

Combine dry ingredients:
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend (I get mine at Trader Joe’s. It’s a blend of brown rice glower, potato starch, rice flour, and tapioca flour.)
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
{You can store this mix in your pantry for a few months, if you wish.}
When ready to bake, you need to essentially make a dairy-free buttermilk. The buttermilk will substitute for egg as a leavening ingredient in your cornmeal. To make this buttermilk, mix together:
  • slightly less than 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1T distilled white vinegar
Let it sit for five minutes.  Satisfy your inner scientist as you watch it bubble up like an experiment. :)
Then, add:
  • 1/4 c palm shortening or coconut oil
  • additional 1/4 c of coconut milk
Pour the buttermilk and shortening into the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Do not overmix.
Pour into greased muffin tins, or a greased 9 x 9 glass baking dish. For muffins, bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes. For the 9 x 9 pan, bake at the same temperature, testing at 20 minutes for done-ness.
I love to top with butter and a drizzle of honey, and crumble over whatever chili or beans I’m serving up. Just home-fried, down-home, southern-baked amazingness. The end.

http://smarttereachday.com/?p=1743



For a more moist, super yummy muffin, add "some" of this delicious creamed corn:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Corn-Like-No-Other/

Note: I left out the pepper and cheese. I  used coconut cream instead of heavy cream and unsweetened almond milk instead of whole milk. For the sugar I used coconut palm sugar. I also used my gluten free flour mix instead of regular all purpose flour. I made it in the rice cooker instead of on the stove. After about 10 minutes I switched it from "on" to "warm" and let it sit for a while till the liquid reduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment