About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Friday, July 23, 2010

Spicy Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas Recipe (mild)

Spicy Black-Eyed Peas (mild)

INGREDIENTS:
· 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
· 1 tsp. Liquid smoke
· 1 cup chopped yellow onion
· 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
· 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
· 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper blend, or to taste (I mix black pepper, paprika, and cayenne together)
· dash crushed red pepper or ground (optional if you like spicy)
· 2 cups chicken broth and enough purified water just to cover all ingredients once in the slow cooker)


PREPARATION:
Soak the black-eyed peas overnight in filtered water. The next morning, drain the water and rinse them.

Put everything in the slow cooker or instant pot and stir.

Slow cooker version:
Cover and cook on LOW for about 7 to 8 hours, until peas and vegetables are tender. If you want it done faster, cook it on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

Instant pot version:
I use 2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup water at 30 minutes high pressure with 15 minutes natural release.

Serves 6.

Tips for easy prep:

Measure and put all spices in slow cooker the night before and cover.

Chop all veggies the day before and keep covered in fridge until needed.

Miscellaneous:
I found the original version of this recipe on the internet and made my vegetarian and preference changes. Allen grew up on this stuff in the South and says these are the best black-eyed peas he has ever had. I didn’t like canned black-eyed peas, and then I tried this recipe. Now I love them! They are great served with brown rice.

P.S. If you buy canned beans be sure to get Eden brand due to their BPA-free cans. You can make this recipe on the stove with canned beans.

Enjoy!
Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment