About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Friday, March 2, 2012

Yellow Mustard Recipe - French's Clone

Note:
I haven't made this yet but will try it when we run out of our Annie's organic mustard. I'm planning to use organic ground dry mustard, arrowroot powder instead of Wondra flour for thickening, and organic apple cider vinegar instead of distilled white. I also plan to leave it raw. We'll see how it goes.
Miriam
--------------

This is a recipe that I found at Grouprecipes.com and it was posted by "Tuilelaith." It's as much of a clone of French's mustard as I think you'll find. It won't be cost effective to make it relative to simply buying a bottle of French's. But if you like to serve your own condiments or are interested in how typical yellow mustard is made, well... this is pretty much how it's made.

Ingredients (T = tablespoon; t = teaspoon):

4 T ground yellow mustard
1/2 t Wondra flour (to thicken)
3/8 t salt
1/8 t turmeric
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of paprika
1/4 c water
3 T distilled white vinegar
Directions:

Mix all dry ingredients together in a small sauce pan.
Whisk in water and vinegar until the mixture is smooth.
Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it boils.
After it begins to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes (I simmer mine for 7.5 minutes).
Remove pan from heat and leave uncovered for 1 minute.
Then cover pan and let the mustard cool.
Put mustard in a covered container and store refrigerated
Yield: 1/4 cup

The Wondra flour is used to thicken the mixture. You probably could use all purpose flour if that's all you had and you probably wouldn't notice a difference in the taste. The Wondra won't clump as easily as all-purpose flour, making it a more convenient thickening agent.

http://marketpower.typepad.com/market_power/2010/02/yellow-mustard-recipe-frenchs-clone.html

No comments:

Post a Comment