About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Monday, April 2, 2012

Summer Bread Salad recipe (yum!)

Note:
I first made this salad a couple of years ago and loved it! I use Ezekiel bread instead of the one listed in the recipe, and for simplicity I toast it in my toaster oven. I also like using a little extra olive oil and balsamic vinegar to make my salad more moist. I use less red onion too. This is delicious, and even my kids eat it!
Miriam

Summer Bread Salad
PREP: 20 minutes STAND: 15 minutes

Speed up prep time by substituting ¼ to 1⁄3 cup organic bottled Italian salad dressing or balsamic vinaigrette for the from-scratch directions below.

3 cups Publix Bakery Multigrain Bread cut into 1-inch cubes
1½ cups coarsely chopped tomatoes* (2 to 3 medium)
½ of a medium red onion, cut into thin wedges and separated
¼ cup snipped fresh basil
2 tablespoons Publix GreenWise Market Organic Balsamic Vinegar*
2 tablespoons olive oil*
2 cloves garlic,* minced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups torn Publix GreenWise Market Organic Romaine Hearts*
Shards of fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)

ONE Preheat oven to 300°F. Dry bread cubes by spreading in a shallow baking pan. Bake cubes, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until dry but not toasted.

TWO In a large bowl toss together dried bread cubes, tomatoes, onion and basil; set aside.

THREE For the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour the dressing over the bread mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Place romaine on a serving dish or six salad plates. Spoon bread mixture over romaine. If desired, garnish with shards of Parmesan cheese. Makes 6 side-dish servings.

Nutrition Facts per serving: 151 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 204 mg sodium, 21 g carbo., 6 g dietary fiber, 6 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment