About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Vegetarian Safflower Oil Mayonnaise (not vegan)

Note:
My hubby and oldest daughter love mayo and won't eat the vegan version, so this is the closest I could come to making a healthy version they would eat. Fortunately, this is delicious, easy, and they love it! I like it better than the Safflower Mayo I've been buying at Publix for $4.59, which contains extra ingredients we don't need. It only costs me me about $2.65 to make the same 12 oz jar of this. I save money by purchasing a 3-pak of Hollywood Safflower Oil for $15.91on amazon.com using the "subscribe n save" feature.
You can use organic yellow or stoneground mustard instead of brown if you like; I've used both. I prefer not to use olive oil for this recipe so I just use 1 1/2 cup safflower oil.
Miriam

Vegetarian Safflower Oil Mayonnaise

By Devonviolet
Added May 06, 2010 | Recipe #423640

Devonviolet's Note:
I have been looking for a healthy "Mayo" recipe for a while now, and finally decided to try one, that I had found. It was a dismal failure. I think adding the mustard and lemon juice, at the beginning, may have caused the egg to curdle, and it never thickened. So, I tried mixing the egg and slowly drizzled oil mixture, first, and then the lemon, salt and mustard. Voila! Success! I used Brown Mustard with Horseradish, because that is what I had in the house. But, I think you could use Dijon or even yellow mustard, with excellent results. I mixed Olive Oil and Safflower Oil, because I had seen that Olive Oil, by it's self, it really strong. But, you can use any oil or combination of oils. I hope my recipe is what you are looking for, and that you enjoy it, as much as my hubby and I do.


Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-oil-safflower-oil-mayonnaise-mayo-423640#ixzz1nScc80hq

Ingredients:

Serves: 27
Yield: 27 tbsp
Units: US | Metric

1 large egg , must be room temp
1 cup safflower oil
½ cup olive oil (Extra Virgin)
2 teaspoons brown mustard
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 teaspoons lemon juice (Bottled Juice works)

Directions:

1 Place the egg in a food processor, or blender, and turn it on.
2 Slowly drizzle oil mixture, until all added. The mayo will thicken, as more oil is added.
3 Add mustard, salt and lemon juice.
4 Pulse the food processor, or blender, until all ingredients are well blended.
5 Scoop into a glass jar, and store in refrigerator. This will stay fresh for up to ten days.


Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-oil-safflower-oil-mayonnaise-mayo-423640#ixzz1nSc3B9De

No comments:

Post a Comment