About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I choose natural options whenever possible and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I eat mostly organic whole foods. You’ll find lots of healthy recipes and great health research on this site.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Risotto with asparagus or peas (Rice Cooker) recipe

I found the following recipe online. I think the recipe needs more liquid and more salt though. 
Sometimes I use organic pearled barley instead of arborio rice because I like to vary the grains we use. When using barley I only use 1 cup and at least triple the amount of liquid to the amount of barley (i.e. 3-4 cups chicken broth/water to 1 cup barley).
You can also use 2 cups frozen peas instead of asparagus, but add it toward the end instead of the beginning. I also like adding minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves) and maybe a little lemon juice. I've also used goat cheese crumbles instead of Parmesan cheese. I might try adding 8 oz mushrooms next time.

My picky girls commented on how yummy it smelled as we put in the rice cooker!
Miriam

prep time: 5 min
cook time: 20 min

Servings:  4
Units: US | Metric

Ingredients:
8 ounces fresh asparagus, peeled cut 1 inch bites
2 cups arborio rice
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup white cooking wine
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
1 Note: When I say 2 cups of rice, this is calculated at the measure size that comes with your cooker which are two measures that is 3/4 of a reg measure cup. So Rice needed for this recipe is 1 1/2 cups in a regular measuring cup.
2 Measure out the rice and rinse with cold water well.
3 Add the first 8 ingredients together (except for the cheese) in the rice cooker.
4 Close lid and press cook lever down.
5 When the rice cooker switches to warm, add the grated fresh parmesan cheese.Stir in well.
6 Serve.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/risotto-with-asparagus-rice-cooker-2008-291461?oc=linkback

No comments:

Post a Comment