About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Friday, January 20, 2012

Veggie Sunshine Burgers recipe

Note:
I use my Foreman Grill for veggie burgers. So convenient!
Miriam


Gena’s Homemade Sunshine Burgers (yields 5)

1 cup sunflower seeds, ground in a food processor or coffee/spice mill
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tbsp ground flax seed
2/3 cup chopped carrot
2/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
2 tbsp water
1 tsp Herbamare seasoning (or to taste)

Mix the sunflower seeds, brown rice, flax, water, salt, and Spike seasoning in a food processor fitted with the S blade. Process till relatively smooth (it’s cool if there’s still a bit of texture).

Add the chopped veggies and pulse till the burgers are well mixed, but not entirely without visible veggie pieces. At this point, test the texture. If it’s super thick and sticky, add another tbsp or two of water. If it’s moist enough, you’re done!

Shape into 5 patties, and put on a cooking tray sprayed with coconut oil. Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes, flipping halfway through, till both sides are golden brown and the patties are firm.

Enjoy over a salad, on a sprouted grain bun or English muffin, or plain! I ate one of these on an Ezekiel bun fresh out of the oven, in true summer BBQ style.

Served up with the customary kale action, it was perfect! Not exactly the same as a commercial Sunshine burger, but quite similar, and delicious in its own right. I will definitely be making these again. Best part? They’re easy to freeze. In fact, in true planning mode, I put one patty aside for the week ahead, and froze the rest. I can’t say how long they’ll keep in the freezer, but I’d guess at least two months is fine. I’ll be eating mine sooner.

Next up came the RAW version. These were inspired directly from my cooked mix, but also heavily inspired by Ani Phyo’s sunshine burgers (which are fabulous, too!). They, like the cooked burgers, were a cinch to make, once the sunflower seeds were ready.

Homemade RAW Sunshine Burgers (yields 4)

1 cup ground sunflower seeds
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup chopped carrot
2/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup onion (optional)
1 tsp nama shoyu
1 tsp Herbamare seasoning (or to taste)

Mix sunflower seeds, flax, nama shoyu, and Herbamare in a food processor till smooth. Add chopped veggies and pulse till the burgers are well combined, but have some texture.
Shape into four patties and dehydrate at 115 degrees for 3-4 hours; flip, and dehydrate for another 3-4 hrs. If you like, you can cook these in a low-temp till crispy, too.

I knew these would be splendid, because I’ve made a variation on them before. And of course, they were. Case in point: this showstopping office lunch:
That’s raw sunshine burger, tucked into a romaine leaf and topped with agave-mustard dressing, served con salad. YUM.

You’ll notice that a key ingredient in both of these recipes was this stuff:
A.K.A., one of Gena’s favorite kitchen shortcuts. Herbamare is made solely of organically grown, ground vegetables and sea salt. It really makes life easy when you want to season food without chopping fresh herbs or rummaging through your pantry for dried ones, and it takes the mystery out of proportions, too. I can’t recommend it enough for seasoning i

Here's Gena's website with more details and other recipes:
http://www.choosingraw.com/homemade-sunshine-burgers-raw-and-cooked/

No comments:

Post a Comment