About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Monday, October 19, 2009

The New Personalized USDA Food Pyramid - A lot has changed!

Below you will find a way to build your own USDA Diet Pyramid based on age, sex, height, weight, and level of physical activity. The emphasis from the USDA is now grains, vegetables and fruit. The meat and bean group for my personal criteria ended up being only 5 to 5.5 ounces depending on my exercise level. That includes nuts, seeds, peanut butter, and all legumes, as well as meat, fish and poultry. This is quite different from the old food pyramid we grew up with. If we're not careful to watch our intake we can use up our entire day's worth of food from this category in one sitting.

This is really fun to do for the kids. A few months ago, I printed a bunch of different ones for the pre-schoolers in our homeschool group and was able to personalize them for each child with their names on them.

I don't necessarily endorse all of the recommendations on the pyramid, but it is a big improvement from the old one and will result in improved health. Have fun!

http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

All for God's Glory,
Miriam Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment