About Me

My photo
I have a health ministry for friends, family, and health lovers world-wide. I'm totally into all-natural and avoid chemicals, food additives, etc. even in my cosmetics. I am working toward eating Vegan, Organic, and raw as much as possible (my family too). I'm married, and have two teen daughters that I homeschooled up until high School and two grown step kids. Optimal Health - God's Way ".....and the fruit thereof shall be for meat (FOOD), and the leaf for MEDICINE." Ezekiel 47:12 KJV

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Quinoa-Black Bean Casserole recipe

Note from Miriam:
I found this recipe by googling black beans and quinoa. It's great, but I used butternut squash instead of sweet potato (bcs I had some on hand), less cumin, and you really need to cook the quinoa by itself in water before adding the other stuff; it does not seem to really puff up otherwise. Also, the cheese is optional.

Stepf's Quinoa-Black Bean Casserole

This recipe came about because I had just made vegetable enchiladas and had leftovers, plus quinoa from earlier in the week. Thankfully, this experiment yielded a hearty, delicious meal.

I cooked up a batch of dried beans that I seasoned with onions, garlic, chiles and spices. If you use canned beans, you might need more spices. Try adding Chef Meg's Taco Seasoning.

Serve this with steamed broccoli or wilted spinach and a dollop of light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.

40 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

1 cup dry quinoa
1 cup salsa
2 eggs
1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded sweet potato (use a box grater or a food processor)
3 cups black beans (or 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
1 T ground cumin
Liberal pinches salt and pepper


Directions

Cook quinoa according to package directions.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix quinoa, black beans, sweet potato, half the cheese and the cumin in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the eggs and the salsa, then pour over the vegetables. Pour all ingredients into a 9x9 casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle on remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Number of Servings: 6

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SP_STEPF.

Number of Servings: 6

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=863221

No comments:

Post a Comment